With the new year it’s time to welcome a new group of newly engaged couples who will begin their wedding journey. Besides setting a date and a budget, many couples, especially if the wedding has a short planning period, want to get their engagement photos early in the process. Generally, I suggest scheduling your engagement session at least six weeks prior to the date you want to mail your announcements. And earlier than that if you are sending out Save the Date cards and want to personalize them.
A question that many couples have concerning their engagement photos is “What to wear?” Engagement photos should reflect who you are and what you love. So if you love casual jeans and a more relaxed look, go for it. If you’re a fashionista, just be sure that both of you have outfits that match your level of dress. Wear clothes that are complimentary. Your personality and style will greatly influence your choice of clothing, but keep it simple.
Having talked to several photographers, here are a few other guidelines for you to keep in mind.
- Wear solid colors with little or no pattern. Avoid prints and stripes as well. If you both want to wear the same color, try different shades or varying hues.
- Dark colors are always slimming. Many couples like blue jeans and black shirts. And gals, a cute dress is always a good way to go.
- Keep in mind your body type. Anything baggy will make you look bigger than you are. And jersey material will cling to your body, and may reveal unflattering curves. Also avoid tight fitting clothes that accentuate every curve of your body – unless that’s the look you are going for.
- The layered look is great for almost anyone. Casual jackets, sweaters, etc. would be perfect.
- Gals can jazz up their outfits with cute heels, a terrific hat, or other accessories.
- And speaking of accessories, bring along fun signs, maybe other personal items like a guitar, or even your dog…if these items are part of who you are. And you guys with a motorcycle, don’t be shy about getting a few photos with your bike.
The engagement period can be one of the happiest and most romantic time of your life, and your photos should reflect that casual, crazy, fun-loving attitude.
On our next post, we will give you a list of favorite St. Louis locations for your photos. And don’t forget about purchasing your tickets for our next Bridal Show “My Dream Wedding” another great St. Louis Bridal Show at The Christy Banquet Center in O’Fallon, MO on Feb. 28, 2021. Tickets and details at BrideStLouis.com.